Thursday, February 28, 2008

Remembrance


It’s been two years today since my father passed away.

I woke this morning with a feeling of dread, a knot in the pit of my stomach. Then I remembered. Today, two years past, my Dad died and I miss him still, so very much. I always will. There is an emptiness in me that is Dad-shaped and cannot be filled again. That is as it should be, even if it hurts.

My Dad died very suddenly, and very slowly. He suffered a massive stroke and was gone, in a heartbeat, just as he wanted. But he also died a piece at a time, for six long years. I watched; I know how hard he fought to regain his life after the accident. He wasn’t able to win that fight. Instead, each day took a little more of his strength, a small bite of his stamina. It was a death by inches, until finally he couldn’t go on any longer.

Sitting remembering Dad, I realized that I too lost something in those years of watching his struggle. Each day broke a little chip off my heart. Each day added a measure of sorrow. I felt the sadness seep into my bones.

I have said my goodbyes, made my peace with his passing. I do not wish him back, at least not to the life he endured for those last six years. In my heart, I carry his beautiful smile and the memory of his love. I am at peace with it, even while the ache of loss remains.

I am ready to go on. No, it is more than that. I need to go on. Living as we did, under the shadow of Death, has left me pale and wan, spiritually speaking. I need to walk out into sunshine, to feel the light of Life renew my energies. I am ready to embrace life in all its complexities. I crave a regeneration of spirit and soul, one that renews the mind and heals the body. I seek peace and quiet joy, contentment, for I already have love.

I sit back, see again, in my mind’s eye, Dad’s shining smile, and know he would approve.

7 comments:

Buffalo said...

Very well said, baby girl. Very well said.

Whitesnake said...

You'll find your father is always with in one way or another.

And that in your case is a wonderful thing.

Unknown said...

Thank you, baby.

Steve, I know he's with me always, and you are so right; that is a lovely thing.

James Shott said...

I know what you are going through, Kat. Both my parents are gone, both somewhat tragically, although neither as sadly tragic as your father's slow decline.

Unknown said...

Thank you, James. I appreciate the empathy. I am sorry to hear that you lost your parents tragically. Although I suspect that there is never a good way to lose a parent, especially if you are close to them.

Anonymous said...

I love the term "Dad-shaped" hole in your heart. My Mother passed away 4 months ago and its really a Mom-shaped hole in my heart and soul. You write beautifully.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Joyce. I am sorry to hear of your loss.
The absence of someone does leave a "shaped" hole in your life that no one else will ever fill. That is probably a good thing, as my husband says. The more it hurts, the more love there was and how does one regret that?